About VSC & Our Mission
Excellence in Skiing and in Life
What is Alpine Ski Racing? Competitive alpine ski racing includes the disciplines of slalom, giant slalom, super giant slalom, downhill, alpine combined and parallel slalom. At Vernon Ski Club we have different levels of programming to best suit the age and ability of the athletes. Our ‘Entry Level’ and U10 programs provide the foundation of technique required to ski the whole mountain confidently and in these programs we introduce participants to basic skills courses and fun race events. Our programs for U12 and older increasingly offer more exposure to competition as the athlete progresses and wants more challenge. We offer programs all the way up to U18 level.
The Vernon Ski Club, established in 1935, has a long and successful history. As one of the largest alpine ski clubs in the BC Interior, Vernon Ski Club continues to offer many benefits to young people while they enjoy skiing throughout their school years. Joining the club is an opportunity to build skills and develop friendships that will last a lifetime! Confidence, self discipline and pride grow through the camaraderie, friendly competition and family-oriented skiing activities that the club is known for.
Our club thrives on the dedicated support of our members and volunteers. We are passionate about building life-long skiers and we work hard to provide positive role models and a learning environment that develops really great skiing skills. We also know that involvement in healthy sporting activities has additional benefits that go beyond the ski slopes and will last a lifetime. It is our goal to help our members excel in skiing and in life by providing fun, safe, high quality ski programs.
Many graduates of the Vernon Ski Club have gone on to the Provincial and National Ski Teams. Some have followed career paths into coaching, instructing, management and other aspects of the ski industry. Others have gone on to professional careers bringing with them the life skills they developed while part of the club. We are very fortunate to have some of our alumni now returning to the club as coaches and parent volunteers. They bring with them a wealth of experience and are our own ‘living proof’ of how passion for the sport can be passed from one generation to the next.
Our members are our strength, but our success is also rooted in our relationship with SilverStar Mountain Resort. The support that SilverStar Mountain provides the Vernon Ski Club is unparalleled. We are grateful for their ongoing contribution.
The support from our local community sustains us. Our local business community and other supporters recognize the benefits of family oriented sporting activities and continue to ‘give back’ to the club year after year.
If you want your family to ski more often, ski with more confidence and have more fun on the hill, come and be part of a club that prides itself on fostering a love for the sport and developing great skiers!
- Help prepare children and young adults to become successful and independent people when they leave home.
- Teach young people the virtues of hard work, respectful behaviour, organization and independent thought.
- Create an environment where young people learn how to become a team member and learn how to be a leader.
- Improve skiing so that children can enjoy the sport for life and ski a wide variety of terrain with confidence.
- Improve skiing to a point where the child / athlete is innately motivated to progress through the alpine ski racer pathway.
- Progress athletes through the long term development pathway from club to provincial team, national team and elite level (World Cup, Olympic games) if they have the desire, ability and resources to achieve this.
- Develop a comprehensive athletic training program to give children the tools to be active and fit for life.
- Create a strong community in the club through which everyone feels connected to our mission.
- Community / fundraising
- Develop a culture of excellence
- Create an environment that can build excellent ski racers and athletes
- Build the coaching team
- Build our volunteer base
- Develop full athletic training programs, not just ski programs