U8 RACE CUBS
Program Goals: FUN, FORM THE FOUNDATION, FOSTER THE LOVE OF THE SPORT
Program Details: Race Cubs: Dec 10 - March 17
Race Cubs Accelerated : Dec 10 - March 17
NOTE: All athletes need to be skiing at an "intermediate" skiing level which requires the ability to ski in control with parallel skis on easy blue terrain, like Whiskey Jack and Lower Big Dipper.
9:30am start at the North corner of the National Altitude Training Center, directly behind the VSC Cabin, 1:30 finish. Scheduled break at 11:30am in the VSC club cabin.
- Race Cubs Accelerated - 2 day / week program: 29 days
- Race Cubs - 1/2 day (9:30am - 1:30pm) / week program Sundays Only (if you can only do Saturdays, please confirm availability at email@example.com): 15 days total
Costs: (included in the program fee is: BC Alpine Membership / Okanagan Zone Fee, Club Cabin improvement fee)
- Payment schedule for program fees is ½ by Sept 15, the remaining by Nov 15 – e-transfer to firstname.lastname@example.org or cheque made out to Vernon Ski Club
- Race Cubs Accelerated - 2 day / week program – Early Bird - Best Price (July 1 - Sept 14): $1,204. Early Bird (Sept 15 - Nov 14): $1264. Regular Price (Nov 15 and after): $1,324
- Race Cubs - 1/2 day / week program (Sundays only): – Early Bird - Best Price (July 1 - Sept 14) $776. Early Bird (Sept 15 - Nov 14): $814. Regular Price (Nov 15 and after): $853
Calendar: You will be connected with the TeamSnap calendar when you register.
Program Outline: Skiers who can parallel ski on easy blue terrain are eligible to join the Vernon Ski Club U8 Race Cubs Program (consistent with Alpine Canada's "Skier Essentials" stage https://ltad.alpinecanada.org/stages/skier-essentials) for either a 1 day per week option or a 2 day per week option.
The Race Cubs Program offers several opportunities to participate in fun focused events at Silverstar that are intended to engage and motivate the skiers to improve and enjoy the sport of alpine ski racing and alpine skiing. As Alpine Canada states: "Time and mileage on-snow in the early years is more difficult to replace in the later stages of development". Even if your child does not continue to pursue competitive ski racing, they will develop strong ski skills and a desire to excel at a young age that will open doors, whatever they aspire to.
All of our coaches are current and Licensed Alpine Ski Coaches in good standing through Alpine Canada and many have a number of additional ski related certifications as well. VSC prioritizes manageable group sizes so that your child can get lots of individual attention from an experienced professional ski coach.
Parents are welcomed and are encouraged to take turns skiing with the group on regular training days, and offer support in the form of a "tail guide", as well as taking the opportunity to connect with like-minded parents. Athletes can expect to ski all over the mountain and in a variety of conditions in this program, as well as being challenged by fun "drill" courses that your coach will set up specifically for you.
As a member of the Vernon Ski Club, you and your family are encouraged to make use of the VSC Cabin. The parent lounge is upstairs where you can meet the other amazing parents in the club, and there are eating areas on the main level and on the lower level for the athletes. There is also a tuning area and some limited ski storage. If you have questions about this or any of our programs, contact Rodger Poole at email@example.com.